I’ve been a professional content provider for two decades, writing timely and compelling copy that ranges from marketing materials to blog posts and newsletters, to editorial features, book jacket blurbs and beyond. My focus has been in the area of mainstream commercial content, service pieces, and entertainment features. I’ve also had five novels published by major mass market publishing houses. My experience as an online editor and web producer includes working with freelance writers, advertisers, and marketing teams to produce polished, well-researched content, from assigning out features to managing content calendars to shepherding projects to completion under tight deadlines, always ensuring quality, consistency, and accuracy.
As I see it, my job as a content provider is to listen – both to the needs of my clients and to the desires of their target audience. I am responsive, inventive, and direct, speaking to the consumer in a way that’s engaging and appealing, creating urgency and driving sales. I pride myself on meeting deadlines, taking feedback, working well with various stakeholders, and going the extra mile for my clients, whatever their needs.
I’ve put the details of my resume below; if you’d like a PDF copy, you can download one here.
Novelist and Magazine Writer
1998 – Present
Author of five mass market novels. Essayist and magazine feature contributor, both online and in print.
- BLISS (November 2013), and LAST CHANCE LLAMA RANCH (August 2015), published by Redhook Books, a division of the Hachette Book Group. Both novels are works of mainstream women’s fiction. LAST CHANCE LLAMA RANCH received a coveted Kirkus Starred Review and has been optioned for a television movie by the Hallmark Channel.
- THE MAIDEN’S REVENGE, MARRYING JEZEBEL, and HEART OF A LION, published by St. Martin’s Press. All three are historical romances, with HEART OF A LION winning Romantic Times Magazine’s Best Historical Adventure award.
- Essays featured on the Huffington Post, Slate’s DoubleX.com, Jewcy.com and in Cosmopolitan Magazine.
Freelance Content Writer
Aragon Advertising February 2016 – May 2016
Content writer for Online Psychic Reviews, a review aggregation site seeking to monetize psychic advertising affiliates.
- Developed, pitched, and wrote entertainment articles and other site content.
- Researched and wrote reviews for various psychic website affiliates, maximizing SEO potential for affiliate partners.
TV Insider October 2015 – February 2016
Content writer for entertainment site affiliated with TV Guide Magazine.
- Contributed articles and photo gallery listicles featuring rundowns of current and classic television programs.
LivePerson January 2010 – January 2015
Content manager for online platform and engagement solution facilitating real-time customer assistance and expert advice.
- Developed and managed all content for several weekly features and monthly client newsletters, creating original content as well as working with in-house writers on tight deadlines.
- Created marketing content for frequent email marketing campaigns.
- Wrote promotional materials, surveys, and quizzes, maximizing for SEO.
- Wrote case studies, whitepapers, and newsletter content for affiliate partner sites.
CBS Local Offers December 2011 – June 2012
Freelance copywriter for CBS Local Deals.
- Wrote “daily deal” advertising copy for users of the CBS Local site in two dozen cities, including restaurant offers, spa services, and tourist activities.
- Uploaded content and image assets to content management system, and coordinated with merchant managers of partner agency to ensure timely turnaround and publication of all offers.
Parents.com March 2011 – June 2012
Freelance copywriter for weekly “Parents Deals” special offers available through Parents Magazine online.
- Wrote advertising copy based on retailers’ specifications to showcase weekly offers for subscribers of Parents.com.
- Worked with sales and marketing teams of partner agency to coordinate materials, obtain client approval, and turn deliverables around on tight deadlines. Also uploaded content and photos to CMS for publication, including basic photo editing.
Freelance Copywriter and Reader
Harlequin Books 2002 – 2012
- Wrote jacket copy for several Harlequin imprints; selected and edited front of book blurbs.
- Read and reviewed manuscripts for various imprints, including Silhouette Intrigue, RDI, NEXT and HQN.
Marketing Web Producer/Blogger
Beliefnet.com July 2008 – January 2010
Web producer for ad-sponsored editorial content on world’s largest spirituality and inspiration website.
- Developed brand-specific entertainment, inspiration, and health-related advertorial content for high-profile advertisers.
- Created sponsored galleries, quizzes, polls, and articles across website, following SEO best practices and working within multiple content management systems including Sitecore.
- Co-wrote “Everyday Ethics” blog on the topic of daily ethical quandaries, receiving over 25,000 page views within first thirty days of launch.
Senior Project Editor
The Travel Channel September 2007 – February 2009
Project editor for interactive travel and culture guides developed for use on handheld devices with GPS capability.
- Wrote, assigned, edited, researched, fact-checked, and uploaded interactive content to the web, working with freelance writers through all stages of production.
- Ensured multimedia audio, text, and images functioned properly in conjunction with each entry.
- Developed unique style sheet for the project.
Literary Agent’s Assistant
Ellen Levine Literary Agency/Trident Media Group October 2004 – September 2007
Assistant to Ellen Levine
- Evaluated queries and manuscripts, drafted reader’s reports & rejections for author submissions.
- Tracked client submissions. Handled correspondence and fielded client requests. Scheduled meetings, booked travel and appointments. Handled permission and reversion-of-rights requests.
- Processed payments in conjunction with contracts and royalties departments in all major publishing houses, worked with foreign rights agents to facilitate payments and contracts.
St. John’s College, Santa Fe, NM
B.A. in Liberal Arts, 1997
- Interdisciplinary curriculum based on Great Books of Western Civilization.
Radcliffe Publishing Course, Cambridge, MA
Certificate, Summer 1997
- Six-week intensive course on all aspects of book and magazine publishing.
SEO keyword optimization. WordPress. Basic HTML, XHTML, and CSS. Fluency with AP & Chicago Manual of Style.